UPDATE: Thursday, December 17, 2020
Hours Limited, Refunds Available
For the rest of its run through Dec. 31, Nights of Lights will honor all tickets purchased for time slots from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Anyone who purchased tickets for 8, 8:30 or 9 p.m. for from Dec. 17 through Dec. 31 will automatically be issued a full refund beginning Thursday afternoon.
Others who decided not to come or who were unable to use their tickets for any reason can request a refund from Etix Customer Support online.
WRAL and the City of Raleigh are co-sponsors of the event and issued this statement Thursday morning:
"We would like to apologize for the traffic tie-ups and delays that motorists have encountered as they’ve made their way to the evening winter wonderland of lights in Dorothea Dix Park. While many have expressed gratitude for a wonderful light show and festive event, we know that many of you have been disappointed with the experience. For that we are truly sorry. Our goal was and continues to be to provide a socially distanced, safe, family-friendly experience to celebrate the holiday season."
WRAL Nights of Lights: Here's what to know before you go
As you prepare to come to WRAL Nights of Lights, make sure you review these important details and watch the video above.
Visit wral.com/lights for up-to-date event information.
Getting to the event
All event attendees must enter the park at the Hunt Drive entrance from Western Blvd. Use 75 Hunt Drive Raleigh, NC 27603 to locate the entrance on a map. DO NOT have your GPS track you based solely on the street address. Your GPS may route you to an entrance of Dix Park that is not open. Every vehicle will enter Hunt Drive via Western Blvd. There is no other entrance or access to the event from inside Dix Park.
- From I-40 W: Take Exit 298B and proceed North on S. Saunders St. Exit onto Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd. Turn left onto Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd and stay in the left lane. Thru traffic will be passing in the right lane. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd turns into Western Blvd. Hunt Dr will be on your left.
- From I-40 E: Take Exit 295 and proceed North on Gorman St. to Western Blvd. Turn right onto Western Blvd. and remain in the right lane. Thru traffic will be passing in the left lane. Hunt Dr will be on your right.
Please DO NOT use the Lake Wheeler Rd exit from I-40. You cannot access the event through Dix Park from Lake Wheeler Rd.
- From I-440/Beltline: Take exit 2A for Western Blvd/NC State University. Remain on Western Boulevard. Thru traffic will be passing in the left lane. Hunt Dr will be on your right.
- From Downtown Raleigh: Use Dawson Street and exit at Western Boulevard. Remain on Western Boulevard. Thru traffic will be passing in the right lane. Hunt Dr will be on your left.
Please pack your patience and expect delays. Lights shows across the state have reported waits of two to four hours. Many nights of Nights of Lights are sold out, and Raleigh Police expect steady traffic on Western Boulevard approaching the park on each night through Dec. 31.
Please plan to arrive within 30 minutes of the time on your ticket. Gates open at dusk and the first ticketed times are 5:30 p.m. nightly.
Attendees should have tickets downloaded or printed to ensure fast ticket scanning.
We are monitoring wait times and understand that wait times may impact your entry time.
Special instructions for VIP Fast Lane:
- VIP Fast Lane ticket holders will use the main event entrance.
- Follow signs to the VIP Fast Lane. Vehicles with VIP Fast Lane tickets should turn on the vehicle's hazard lights to indicate you have a VIP Fast Lane ticket.
- Follow event staff's directions to proceed through the VIP Fast Lane ticketing lane.
NC 'stay-at-home' order impact
In compliance with the current North Carolina executive 'stay-at-home' order curfew, Nights of Lights ends by 10:00 pm. Later ticket times for Nights of Lights have been refunded to ensure compliance.
Questions about tickets including exchanges or refunds
More Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to have a ticket to enter?
Yes. One ticket is required per vehicle. Tickets must be purchased in advance of the event. No ticket sales will be available on-site at Dix Park.
Can I exit my vehicle to take pictures or walk around the park to look at the lights?
To ensure physical distancing and safety of all attendees, you are required to remain in your vehicle throughout the lighted drive-thru event.
Can I park my vehicle at any point to look at the lights?
No. You must continue driving through the event to look at the lights. You can drive as slowly as you wish.
Will there be restrooms available?
No. All visitors must remain in their vehicles.
What happens if there is inclement weather?
The event is on rain or shine unless there is major inclement weather. Announcements will be made in event of cancellation. If cancellation occurs all purchased tickets would be rescheduled. Make-up nights would take place at the beginning of January 2021.
Is there a vehicle height limitation?
Yes, there is a 10'5" height limit. Due to several tunnel elements, vehicles taller than 10'5" will not be permitted to enter the show.
What if I have general Nights of Lights event questions?