You're invited to join us for a SUN-sational family-friendly festival: Destination SunFest at Dix Park! Enjoy the Ferris wheel, carousel, food + drinks, live entertainment, history hayride tours along with art, craft and other fun activities for kids and adults! All rides, games, and activities at the event are FREE.
Destination SunFest is a celebration of the completion of the Master Plan and welcome party for the entire community to visit the sunflowers, connect with the land and become part of the next phase of Dorothea Dix Park!
Please RSVP Registration is not required, but it does help us to know how many guests to expect and we can contact you with important event information. This event is free to the public thanks to Dorothea Dix Park Conservancy donors.
Activities + Rides:
Local Arts + Crafts Vendors
Face Painting + Air Brushing
Visiting the Sunflowers:
- Please stay on the paths in the field and keep children from straying into the sunflowers.
- Walking up hills, in grass and on uneven surfaces will be necessary. We recommend closed-toe shoes!
- Please do not pick the flowers or eat the sunflower seeds. Public Utilities will be harvesting them for use after they have bloomed.
- Remember you are outside, so are bugs and other critters. Be prepared!
- Tag us in your photos on social media: @dixpark and use #DixPark
- ..and enjoy the beautiful blooms!
Getting There + Parking
This is going to be a BIG event! To maximize safety and to provide the best experience for everyone at the park, there is no parking on Dorothea Dix Park campus for this event. Free vehicle parking will be available on NC State Centennial Campus with a free shuttle running between the parking lots and Dorothea Dix Park.
- All event parking will be on NC State Centennial Campus
- You can access event parking lots from Centennial Parkway
- You can access Centennial Parkway from Lake Wheeler Road and I-40 or from Avent Ferry Road
- There will no parking on Dorothea Dix Park campus
- Free parking shuttles will be available near parking lots
- You are welcome to walk from parking lots to the festival
- Shuttles will begin running at 2:00 pm and will continue until 11:00 pm
- Drop-Off + Pick-Up for Ride Share will occur on Partners Way on NC State Centennial Campus
- Ride Share vehicles will not be allowed on Dorothea Dix Park campus
Bikes + Scooters
- Bike and Scooter parking will be available at the soccer field parking lots on Hunt Drive
Entertainment + Music Schedule:
2:45 – 4:00 pm – Africa Unplugged
4:30 – 5:30 pm – The Sunday Special
6:00 – 7:00 pm – Hammer No More The Fingers
7:30 – 9:00 pm – 120 Minutes
Food + Beer Vendors:
Know Before You Go
What Can You Bring
- Chairs + Blankets
- Food + Non-alcoholic Drinks
- Refillable Water Bottles
What is NOT Allowed
- Dogs + Pets
- Drones + Other Aerial Devices
Dorothea Dix Park continues to work to be accessible and welcoming for visitors with disabilities and limited mobility. Planning to attend and have questions about accessibility? Contact Joseph Voska, Programs and Operations Supervisor, at 919-996-6688 or email@example.com.
- Accessible parking with reserved spaces are available in all lots.
- Accessible port-a-johns will be located near the event location.
- Portions of the Dorothea Dix Park that have uneven surfaces are not ADA accessible.
- This event will take place on grass, uneven surfaces, and across all forms of terrain.
There is no parking on Dorothea Dix Park campus for this event. Free vehicle parking will be available on NC State Centennial Campus with a free shuttle running between the parking lots and Dorothea Dix Park. See more information above.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-996-6688