*** This event is moving forward as scheduled. Please use caution around Dix Park as crews are still working on clean up from Friday's storm damage. Avoid tree damage and blocked off areas. ***
Juneteenth (June 19th) is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the abolition of slavery in the United States.
Weekend Celebration Schedule: Visit juneteenthraleigh.org for a full line-up of events at different venues.
The theme for this year's Capital City Juneteenth Celebration 2022 is “Preserving the Past, Moving it Forward.” During this event the mission is to “To celebrate the freedom of formerly enslaved African Americans by acknowledging their history and achievements through commemorative and historical services and activities.”
On Saturday, June 18, bring your lawn chairs and blankets to enjoy an afternoon of entertainment, family activities, vendors and food on Harvey Hill and the Chapel Event Center at Dix Park!
Time: 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Harvey Hill Main Stage
1:00 pm - Welcome/Opening
1:20 pm - Mary D Williams (Negro Spirituals)
2:10 pm - JaShaun Peele & Friends (R&B)
3:00 pm - Constance Prince & the BC Project (Blues)
3:45 pm - United Strings of Color & The Spoken Word
4:50 pm - The Mac Mclaughlin Group (Jazz)
Chapel Event Center Children's Performance Stage - NEW for 2022!
2:00 pm- Barwell Road Park African Dancers
2:30 pm- Lake Lynn Park Lyrical Dance
3:00 pm- Ralph Campbell Cheerleading
Children's Activity Zone - NEW for 2022!
- Story Corner
- Inflatable Rides
- Face Painting
Vendors: Full list of Exhibitors, Vendors + Food Trucks available on the Eventbrite RSVP.
Location: Harvey Hill + Chapel Event Center at Dix Park, 1030 Richardson Dr. Raleigh, NC 27603
RSVP: While not required, registering for the event helps us plan for how many people to expect and we can contact you in the case of changes to the event due to inclement weather.
Capital City Juneteenth Celebration 2022 is presented in partnership by:
- St. Paul AME Church
- City of Raleigh
- Dix Park Conservancy
- NC Museum of History
- Preservation NC
- NC State Capitol
- Visit NC
- Media Sponsor: WRAL
- Silver Sponsor: Red Hat Charitable Giving Fund of Triangle Community Foundation
- Silver Sponsor: NC African American Heritage Commission
What to Bring
- Seating: A blanket or low beach chairs to sit on, so that you don’t obstruct the view for others.
- Food and Drinks: While we encourage you to enjoy the food trucks, you may also bring your own food and beverages. Beer and wine are permitted, but please be responsible!
- Outdoor Essentials: Remember the sunscreen and bug spray.
- What to Wear: This event takes place in the grass with uneven surfaces, please keep this in mind for footwear. The trees provide some shade but this event is outdoors the entire time - please dress for the weather.
If we need to cancel due to inclement weather, we will communicate through email to ticket holders and on Dix Park social media.
COVID-19 Safety Reminders
Please stay home if you are sick! Visit Raleigh Parks COVID-19 page for the latest information and guidance.
Dorothea Dix Park continues to strive to be accessible and welcoming for visitors, including those with disabilities. Currently, portions of Dorothea Dix Park, including some areas where programs and events occur, have uneven surfaces and are not fully accessible. Accessibility is a primary focus for early park improvements and all future planning and development.
- Parking: Accessible parking spaces are available in all lots.
- Restrooms: Indoor accessible restrooms are available in the Chapel. Accessible port-a-johns are located at the event area.
- Transport: We will have staff on golf carts helping folks with disabilities and limited mobility get from parking to and from the event areas.
Programs and events: Raleigh Parks Inclusion Services works with community members to support participation. To request a program modification based on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please complete and submit the Accommodation Request Form or contact Inclusion Services staff at 919-996-2147 or ParksInclusion@raleighnc.gov.
Questions? Contact Dix Park staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-996-3255.