Join us to learn about the Union troops who camped on the state hospital grounds in the final days of the war, Raleigh's earthworks that cut through the property, and the impacts of the Civil War on the hospital and patients. This 2-hour outdoor hike will be led by City of Raleigh Museum Director, Ernest Dollar.
Time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Location: Meet at the Chapel at Dix Park, 1030 Richardson Drive Raleigh, NC 27603
Tickets: Registration is required.
COVID-19 Safety Reminders
- Please stay home if you are sick!
- A 6-foot distance should be maintained between yourself and other participants in the program.
- Visit Raleigh Parks COVID-19 page for the latest information and guidance.
Know Before You Go
- Walking up hills, in grass and on uneven surfaces will be necessary.
- Stay hydrated! Please bring a water bottle.
- Restrooms are located inside he Chapel Event Center. Port-a-johns are available throughout the park.
- The tour will be canceled and rescheduled if there is inclement weather and registered participants will be notified by email.
Dorothea Dix Park continues to strive to be accessible and welcoming for visitors, including those with disabilities. Currently, portions of Dorothea Dix Park, including some areas where programs and events occur, have uneven surfaces and are not fully accessible. Accessibility is a primary focus for early park improvements and all future planning and development.
Parking: Accessible parking spaces are available in all lots.
Restrooms: Indoor accessible restrooms are available in the newly renovated Chapel. Accessible port-a-johns are located at the Big Field and Flowers Field.
Programs and events: Raleigh Parks Inclusion Services works with community members to support participation. To request a program modification based on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please complete and submit the Accommodation Request Form or contact Inclusion Services staff at 919-996-2147 or ParksInclusion@raleighnc.gov.
Contact Dix Park Staff at 919-996-3255 or firstname.lastname@example.org