Meteors are the streaks of light—sometimes misleadingly called “shooting stars”—that you see in the sky when cosmic debris slams into Earth’s atmosphere at thousands of miles an hour. The Perseids are the result of debris left over by Comet Swift-Tuttle on its periodic trips around the Sun.
To set the stargazing mood, the Triangle Sax Ensemble will be playing some tunes.
Time: 9 pm - 11 pm
Location: Big Field at Dix Park, 1010 Blair Drive, Raleigh, NC, 27603
Registration: This event is free and no ticket required. Registration helps us plan for attendance and we can update registered participants of inclement weather changes.
What to Bring
- A blanket or chairs so you can relax under the stars.
- A small flashlight to help you walk across the field, but you might find that avoiding all light and letting your eyes adjust to the darkness is more beneficial. Even a little light can throw off your night vision.
Know Before You Go
- There are port-a-johns and water fountain available near the program location.
- The program takes place outside, please dress for the weather.
- Please leave all pets at home, even those on a leash. Darkness, lots of people, expensive telescopes and pets on leashes is a bad combination. Pets will not be permitted near the telescopes.
COVID-19 Safety Reminders
Please stay home if you are sick! Visit Raleigh Parks COVID-19 page for the latest information and guidance.
Dorothea Dix Park continues to strive to be accessible and welcoming for visitors, including those with disabilities. Currently, portions of Dorothea Dix Park, including some areas where programs and events occur, have uneven surfaces and are not fully accessible. Accessibility is a primary focus for early park improvements and all future planning and development.
Parking: Accessible parking spaces are available in all lots.
Restrooms: Accessible port-a-johns are located at the Big Field and Flowers Field. Indoor accessible restrooms are available in the newly renovated Chapel.
Programs and events: Raleigh Parks Inclusion Services works with community members to support participation. To request a program modification based on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please complete and submit the Accommodation Request Form or contact Inclusion Services staff at 919-996-2147 or ParksInclusion@raleighnc.gov.
Contact Dix Park Staff at 919-996-3255 or email@example.com