*** COVID-19 Response: Dog Park Closed March 27 - April 30 ***
Dogs and their owners are invited to run, romp and relax at the temporary off-leash dog park now open at Dix Park. The dog park is temporarily located on the site of the former athletic field on Biggs Drive where our Pop-PupAlooza events have been held.
This facility provides a much needed off-leash dog area for park visitors, with all other areas of Dix Park requiring dogs to be on-leash. The 3+ acre dog park is open to the public seven days a week and includes separate areas for small and large dogs.
See below for upcoming closure dates routine maintenance and other important information about visiting the temporary dog park.
Location: Dix Park Dog Park, 801 Biggs Drive, Raleigh, NC 27603
Know Before You Go:
- All City of Raleigh Dog Park Rules apply.
- Dogs are required to be on-leash in all other areas of Dix Park.
- Be sure to bring a water bottle for yourself and your furry friends, too.
- There are no public restrooms at the park, only port-a-johns.
- North Carolina DHHS administrative headquarters are located on park grounds. Please be respectful of the employees at work and avoid buildings and employee parking areas during business hours.
- Wednesday mornings the dog park is closed while our Parks crew is mowing.
- Routine maintenance and rest periods are needed to keep the field and fencing in good shape.
- Please be aware that races and other weekend events at Dix Park require short-term road closures around the dog park area. Visit the City of Raleigh Special Events Calendar for details and dates of races that might impact the access in and around this area.
The temporary dog park is not supervised. Owners and handlers are responsible for their dogs and their dog’s behavior at all times. In case of an emergency, call 9-1-1. If you do not believe the area is safe, call the Raleigh Police Department at 919-831-6311.
Dates Closed for Maintenance:
- Immediate Repairs Needed: Tuesday, March 10 - Wednesday, March 11
- March 30 - April 6
- April 20 - 24
Dog Park Transition:
This facility was designated as temporary from the start knowing that the former athletic field location is part of a Phase 1 project area, Gateway Plaza and Play. Upon approval from City Council in early November 2019 to move forward with the Gateway design process, we knew we needed to identify a relocation space for the temporary dog park. Dix Park staff looks forward to holding some community conversations with dog owners in spring 2020 to hear what you care about when it comes to off-leash areas and work together to create great dog park spaces as Dix Park evolves.
- Weekday dog park parking is available on Palmer Drive, see map below.
- Please be aware that races and other weekend events at Dix Park require short-term road closures around the dog park area. Visit the City of Raleigh Special Events Calendar for details and dates of races that might impact the access in and around this area. For questions of concerns, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.