Dogs and their owners are invited to run, romp and relax at our off-leash dog park. The large grass-covered dog park has separate areas for small and large dogs. A water station is available for people and pets.
Dog Park Winter Closure
December 4, 2023 – February 11, 2024
Dix Park is Raleigh’s only grass covered Dog Park. Allowing the grass to rest during the winter months helps to ensure resilient grass and avoid muddy conditions come spring.
While our dog park is closed, you and your pooch can enjoy off-leash fun at these Raleigh Dog Parks & Runs within 5 miles of Dix Park:
- Carolina Pines – 2305 Lake Wheeler Rd
- Oakwood Park – 910 Brookside Dr
- Jaycee Park – 2405 Wade Ave
- Kiwanis Park – 2525 Noble Road
Visit the Dog Park
Address: 1800 Umstead Drive, Raleigh, NC 27603
Parking: Weekday parking M-F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm is available in the gravel lot. Evenings and weekend parking available in all lots.
The first dog park location along Lake Wheeler Road is closed as this area is part of the future Gipson Play Plaza currently under construction.
Know Before You Go
- All City of Raleigh Dog Park Rules apply.
- Dogs are required to be on-leash outside the dog park fence.
- Please note that the dog park may be wet and/or muddy after it rains.
- Water station with fountain, bottle/bowl filler and dog fountain is available.
- Port-a-johns are available and indoor restrooms are located at The Chapel.
- North Carolina DHHS administrative headquarters are located on Dix Park grounds. Please be respectful of the employees at work and avoid buildings and employee parking areas during business hours, Monday - Friday.
The dog park is not supervised. Owners and handlers are responsible for their dogs and their dogs' behavior at all times. It is expected of patrons to work with each other in a friendly, respectful manner to keep the park safe for all.
In case of an emergency, call 9-1-1
For disruptive dogs, call Animal Control at 919-996-1449
For other safety concerns, call the Raleigh Police Department at 919-831-6311
Mowing and regular maintenance occurs Tuesday mornings from 6-9 am. The dog park may be fully closed during this time.
Improvements - Spring 2023
We've listened to feedback from our dog park users regarding the muddy conditions this winter. The park's operations and maintenance team developed an improvement plan to focus on the following:
- Improve wet ground conditions by grading parts of the field to better manage storm water
- Fortify the grass by reseeding with turf types that resist wear and tear year-round
The dog park was closed from March 27 - July 11 to complete this work and allow the turf to establish.
Plans for additional shade, seating, and enrichment features are in progress.
Have questions or feedback? Reach out to the Dix Park Staff at 919-996-3255 or email@example.com